Monday, April 8, 2019

                                            UNA COPA MAL...


                             "That song reminds me of the time I lived in Mexico..." said the man, who was the only one to break the silence in the moldy cantina. It was about a guy who had one more drink and they were all about at that point, at this place which could be anywhere in Latin America...."I was in Renosa on the gringo border near MacAllan, Texas. In those days you could cross from one side to the other, without much problem, so I eventually became a coyote. That was a long time ago but there was still money to be made.
                              Then on one trip, there was this Mexican girl in the group. Her name was Renosa and that gave me the poetic feeling that she was made for me. Really it didn't matter, what her name was or where she came from. It could have been from another planet, for all I cared, with such beauty. What huge, black eyes with full, red lips and radiant, black hair. There was no comparing her body, but her eyes had both a mischievous look and that of a virgin. I think it was the paradox that I liked and I never did find out if she was a virgin, even though we made love one night in the Arizona desert. She said she was but I never saw any blood on the sand.
                               Anyway she said she was going to Los Angeles, where she had some relatives. She was supposed to contact them in Phoenix and they would get her out there. She was about seventeen, although I never asked her age.
                               I personally helped her to make her connections and didn't charge her anything more. She thanked me by making marvelous love one more time. It was in a real bed.
                              We parted but promised to keep in touch and we did for a while, through the internet.
                               Apparently she became obsessed with that thing and plugged into every program from Facebook on down.
                               As I said we were in touch for a while and then she didn't answer my emails for a long time. I didn't understand it really, because if we weren't lovers any more, we could still be friends I figured and then I found out the truth of the matter. She had been abducted by one of those obscure contacts and turned into a prostitute. I know it was against her will, even though she did have a mischievous look when I first met her, because I still believe she was a virgin....So she stabbed a customer when she was blazing drunk and he slit her throat. It was all over the internet..."the man murmured, despondently, as he finished his cup of tequila and the Mexican song ended, with the lamentable morn of......una copa mal....

1 comment:

wlErik said...

Very violent my friend. I used to live in the lower Rio Grande Valley. I would see folks being floated across the river on large truck tire tubes. I also visited the large detention center in Port Isabel. It was called the Port Isabel Service Processing Center. I lost my first Asylum case as a student attorney, it was a couple of FMLN activists/guerillas. They had a great case, but Judge Axhem was hearing none of it. They kept the detainees very cold, in their orange jump suits, but at least the conditions were less like a concentration camp than I hear about now.